Models, Model Theory, and Modeling (Michael Glanzberg)

The Logic and Metaphysics Workshop will meet on October 19th from 4:15-6:15 (NY time) via Zoom for a talk by Michael Glanzberg (Rutgers).

Title: Models, Model Theory, and Modeling

Abstract: In this paper, I shall return to the relations between logic and semantics of natural language.  My main goal is to advance a proposal about what that relation is.  Logic as used in the study of natural language—an empirical discipline—functions much like specific kinds of scientific models. Particularly, I shall suggest, logics can function like analogical models.  More provocatively, I shall also suggest they can function like model organisms often do in the biological sciences, providing a kind of controlled environment for observations.  My focus here will be on a wide family of logics that are based on model theory, so in the end, these claims apply equally to model theory itself.  Along the way towards arguing for my thesis about models in science, I shall also try to clarify the role of model theory in logic.  At least, I shall suggest, it can play distinct roles in each domain. It can offer something like scientific models when it comes to empirical applications, while at the same time furthering conceptual analysis of a basic notion of logic.